30 January 2006

Key extracts: Saddam court tirade

[Saddam denounces the court as being run by Americans and says he and his seven co-defendants will reject any lawyers appointed by the court.]

Saddam Hussein: "Anyone appointed by you we reject them. This is my right, to give up my right to an attorney. [pointing at the court appointed lawyers] If you stay here you are evil people. This is my right, don't force me."

Judge Rahman: "I am not forcing you."

Saddam Hussein: "I respect you as an Iraqi, unless you have given up your Iraqi nationality."

Saddam Hussein: "I want to leave the court."

Judge Rahman: "You do not leave, I allow you to leave when I want to."

[Judge Rahman orders him to leave]

Saddam Hussein: "You are an Iraqi, you cannot order me like that. I led you for 35 years."

Judge Rahman: "I have practised law for the last 35 years. I am the judge and you are the defendant, you have to obey me."

Saddam Hussein: "I understand my rights and the rights of the others. The defendant is innocent until proven guilty, that's what we learned in the law while we were students."

Saddam Hussein: "Down with traitors! Down with America!"

[Saddam is led from the court]

No comments: